Hālau Kupukupu Innovations Academy -
Thursday, June 15 - Thursday, July 13, 2017
Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi is excited to present Hālau Kupukupu Innovations Academy. During this four-week learning adventure, students are empowered through Hālau Kupukupu’s signature approach to learning, ʻŌiwi STEAM, to access, investigate, and apply ancestral ways of knowing in academically rigorous and engaging inquires. Using knowledge and skills gained in Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Math (STEAM), haumāna take on the roles of 21st century kanaka scientists or engineers while working alongside community and industry experts. By exploring challenges that impact our ʻāina, lāhui and world, learners will be inspired to harness their unique talents to create innovative and responsible solutions and contribute to a legacy of wisdom for the future.
E NĀNĀ MAI (SPOTLIGHT)
Kilo, Hoʻopaʻa, and Kā!
Hālau Kupukupu Summer Innovations Academy kumu for grades K-8 gathered recently to collaboratively reimagine and redesign transformational ʻŌiwi STEAM learning experiences that ignite passion for learning, deepen Hawaiian identity, and increase student agency.
>> Complete Enrollment & Submit Payment
NEW FOR 2017 – ONLINE PROCESSING
- Completing Your Child’s Enrollment
This year we will be utilizing KS Connect to complete your enrollment process. KS Connect is an online resource for parents of Kamehameha Schools.
- If you are new to KS Connect you will receive an email prompting you to activate your account. A different email address is required for each parent who wants to access the account.
- If you already have a KS Connect account, you will need to activate it at: https://connect.ksbe.edu. You will be notified via email when your account has been setup and is ready for use. Families who have used KS Connect for campus students or previous summer programs will use their existing account to access their student’s summer record by changing your role. Select “entering parent” for the next school year from the drop down field.
- Confirming Your Acceptance to Our Summer Program
Please sign the Admissions and Enrollment Agreement on KS Connect to confirm your child’s enrollment in our summer program by going to “Forms>>School Forms”. Two signatures are required on this form unless legal documents are received to support one parent signature. If you are unable to sign the Agreement electronically for some reason, please contact the Hālau Kupukupu main office at 808-982-0033 before May 1 for assistance.
- Payment Instructions:
The following methods of payment for tuition will be accepted:
- Financial Aid
If awarded, no additional steps are required for payment.
- FACTS online payment
Online payments will only be accepted by FACTS e-cashier via your KS Connect account beginning April 7, 2017. Instructions for remitting payment on-line are as follows:
- Once logged in to your KS Connect account, go to “Forms >>Payment: Tuition” and follow the instructions to make your FACTS payment.
- Only a valid checking account, savings account or credit card is accepted for online payments.
- A 2.85% processing fee will be charged for credit card payments. Any automated payments returned by a financial institution will be assessed a $30 fee.
- On-site support is available. Please call 982-0033 if you have any concerns or issues about payment.
- Cashier’s Check
Please mail to: Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi
Hālau Kupukupu Innovations Academy
16-714 Volcano Rd
Keaʻau, HI 96749
>> Change or Withdraw from a Course
Please complete the Course Change or Withdrawal Form and mail or email the form to the Hālau Kupukupu Main Office by May 31, 2017 to request a course change (add/delete/change) or to withdraw from the summer program. Withdrawals after this date will not be eligible for reimbursement.
See calendar below for more information.
Ka ʻAlemanaka (Calendar)
A list of 2017 Hālau Kupukupu Innovation Academy important dates:
Admissions and Enrollment Agreement Form – Online signature completed
Program Withdrawal Deadline
Course Change Request Deadline
June 7 & 8
Packet Pick Up @ Charles Reed Bishop Learning Center Conference Room, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Additional t-shirts may be purchased for $5 each beginning June 7.
Last day for bus transportation change requests (filled on a seat-availability basis). All change request after this date will be processed for 6/19/17 on a seat-availability basis.
First day of Hālau Kupukupu Summer Innovations Academy
Final day of Hālau Kupukupu Summer Innovations Academy
Additional class specific dates will be given at the beginning of the session.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What are the dates of the program?
Student days are Thursday, June 15, 2017 – Thursday, July 13, 2017.There is no school on Tuesday, July 4, 2017.
- I cannot sign the Admission and Enrollment Acknowledgement Form online.
Each parent must have their own email address to sign the Form.Signers cannot share the same email.Please contact the Hālau Kupukupu Main Office at 808-982-0033 for assistance.Paper versions are available in certain circumstances.
- How do I change a course that my child is enrolled in?
Complete the Course Change or Withdrawal form and submit it to the Hālau Kupukupu Main Office by mail, email (email@example.com) or in person by May 31, 2017.Course changes will be fulfilled if a seat is available in the desired course.Tuition is not reimbursed for any withdrawals beginning June 1, 2017.
- My invite letter says I didn’t receive financial aid. Who do I contact to about this?
The Applicant Service Center will assist you at 808-534-8080 or toll free at 1/800-842-4682 and press 2.
- How do I sign the Admission and Enrollment Agreement Form (required)?
Please refer to “Confirming Your Acceptance to Our Summer Program” above.
- How do I pay?
Please refer to “Payment Instructions” above.
- My child will miss 1 week of school to attend another KS program. Is that okay?
The High School allows only one (1) absence since these courses earn credit.After one (1) absence, the student will be dis-enrolled.In our K-8 program, absences are discouraged due to the project-based learning format and student teaming.Student who miss more than three (3) days in our K-8 program will be given a lower priority for the following summer’s enrollment.For more information on absences, refer to page 10 of the 2017 Student & Parent Handbook.
- How can I change the bus route I originally selected?
The Transportation department on campus will assist you.Changes will be fulfilled if seats are available.Please call 808-982-0026 or 808-982-0701.For more information on Transportation, refer to page 32 of the 2017 Student & Parent Handbook.
- Do we have to wear the Hālau Kupukupu t-shirt every day?
Yes, the Hālau Kupukupu t-shirt is the summer program uniform for all grades required daily.
- Is there a dress code?
Yes, in addition to the Hālau Kupukupu t-shirt, pants or skirts, covered shoes, and socks are required.For more information on Dress Code, refer to page 18 of the 2017 Student & Parent Handbook
- What phone number do I call if my child is going to be tardy, absent or has an alternate pick up schedule?
Contact your division office:
- Elementary Division (Grades K-5) 808-982-0771
- Middle School Division (Grades 6-8) 808-982-0773
- High School Division (Grades 9-12) 808-982-0774
- Why do I have to call the office if my child is absent or tardy?
Notifying the division office of any changes to your child’s schedule assures that the program knows who is in school and who is not in school.For more information on Attendance, refer to page 18 of the 2017 Student & Parent Handbook.
- What do I do if I have to pick my child has an alternate pick up schedule?
Please contact the division office if:
- you are picking up your child before school ends
- someone else picks up your child instead of the person with the ʻohana parking tag
- your child rode the bus to school but will be picked up instead
- What if I need additional ʻohana parking passes because we have several people picking up my child?
Contact the Hālau Kupukupu Main Office at 808-982-0033 or stop by to pick up additional tags.
- My child has allergies. How do I let the teacher know?
Please contact the Hālau Kupukupu Main Office at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of the program.For more information on food allergies, refer to page 12 of the 2017 Student & Parent Handbook.
- If my child attends Kamaʻaina Kids at the end of the day, will someone escort her to the area?
For the first week, students will be escorted to the Kamaʻaina Kids area to familiarize them with the location.
- How can I sign up to volunteer as a chaperone?
ʻOhana who would like to chaperone a huakaʻi or who may have arranged other volunteer kuleana with a kumu should complete all three (3) forms of the volunteer application.
In the News
Read and listen to stories about Hālau Kupukupu that have appeared on local media channels.
July 17, 2016
Hawaiʻi Tribune-Herald: STEAMing Ahead
HTH reporter Kirsten Johnson takes a closer look at the summer program's emphasis on STEAM and the engaging form lessons take on during the 4-week program.
February 2, 2016
KAPA Radio FM: Interview with Joy Motta and Marcie Saquing
Listen and learn more about the 2016 program in an interview with Jaz and Kaʻea on KAPA Radio.