The Legacy of a princess

Kamehameha Schools was founded by the will of Bernice Pauahi Bishop, the great-granddaughter of Kamehameha the Great.

Pauahi Legacy
Home Mālama Ola
Mālama Ola
Student health, safety and well-being

Mālama Ola became a new division of the Kamehameha Schools Education System in July 2015. The division is responsible for programs that address student and employee health and safety at KS’ three campuses, 30 preschools and summer programs. This includes education safety and risk staff, athletic training staff and mental health services.

Mālama Ola is led by Dr. Kenneth Fink, who supervises all KS medical and health-related staff, and an education safety officer, whose job it is to develop and implement programs addressing student and employee health and safety.

On this page you’ll find information related to the many important steps Kamehameha Schools is taking to maintain a safe and healthy environment for our keiki.

News and announcements



Q: If my child is entering a grade for which a Physical Evaluation is required, how recent an exam is acceptable?

A: The Physical Evaluation form has two parts, the Health History and the Physical Examination. A parent/guardian should complete the Health History part for their healthcare provider to review before the healthcare provider completes the Physical Examination part. The Physical Examination part must be based on a physical exam that occurred on or after July 1, 2016.

Q: My child is entering a grade for which a Physical Evaluation is required, and my child intends to play a sport. Does my child have to get another physical?

A: The completed Physical Evaluation form includes a section for your healthcare provider to indicate sports clearance. The single completed Physical Evaluation form will be used for both school and sports clearance purposes. The form should be submitted to your child’s school health room.

Q: What is the procedure if my child is on medication that needs to be taken at school?

A: Parents/guardians will determine if their child can safely and responsibly self-administer medications. However, all controlled substances must be administered by a KS nurse or designee. For a prescription and over the counter medications to be administered by a KS nurse or designee, please compete a Request for Administration of Medication (RAM) form for each medical to be administered.

CEO Message: Caring for our students is a kuleana we all share

October 19, 2016
In Action 1 of our FY 2016-17 Annual Plan, a focus on student safety and well-being is identified as an organizational priority. Here’s why. See CEO Message »